Tuesday, May 13, 2014

We don't need no education...

Q is an auditory learner. I always say this. And this past week has given me the perfect example. Last tuesday at her Singers Company rehearsal the girls were given a line that they needed to memorize for their performance in a couple of weeks."It helps us to remember that there is always someone watching over us, and we are never alone".  As we drove home, I read the sentence to Q and we practiced it very quickly just to pass some time. She got a few words here and there, but was far from having it all together.
When we got home, I put the paper on my refrigerator and forgot about it. Sunday evening, 5 days later, I happen to look at it and I asked Q, very nonchalantly if she remembered any of her line she was to memorize...and I was shocked when she stopped what she was doing, and repeated the line word for word. WORD FOR WORD. I mean....what?
This girl, when trying to read either the BOB books or hooked on phonics books can't remember the same words that she sees EVERY PAGE...but can remember a whole sentence that we barely practiced 5 days ago? seriously...the book can be about Mac sat. Mac is literally on every single page, and she acts like it's the first time she is seeing the word every time. But her memory for things she hears is incredible. She is quick to quote movies. Every night we have been reading together chapter books, Junie B Jones-Ramona Quimby-Ivy and Bean, and she is able to comprehend and remember everything that I read to her, and can tell me about it days later.

So here is my question to you experienced mothers and educators...how do I teach a child like this? I know that I shouldn't stress about it now (she is still in preschool), but I want to be prepared and have the skills necessary to foster the best environment for her learning.

3 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

Scarlet was the same way when she started reading. She never recognized a word she had just finished sounding out. Kinda makes you want to pull your hair out by the end of those BOB books...

I think that you know that about her is going to be the biggest advantage. Sometimes the hardest part is figuring out what is going to make it click for them.

A Bug's Life said...

Knowing how Q learns is half the battle for sure! Count yourself ahead of the game for recognizing that and don't stress about it. Put preparation in making sure that wherever she is going to school that you get a teacher that can match that learning style well. And then trust that teacher to help her and you with the curriculum they use. It will go really far with you supporting the teacher and her in those efforts I think. Let her teacher teach her how to read and you just reinforce. It will click for her. She's pretty bright. daishan

Myca said...

I was going to say the same thing as Kacey. TAyden did the same thing with the BOB books and It was pure torture! The fact that you have recognized that she is more of an auditory learner at this stage is HUGE. And I agree with Daishan as well. Once she gets into school you will get an idea of how her teacher presents things to her in class and then you will know when she is at home how to help reinforce what's she has learned by teaching, quizing, or practicing in a more auditory way.