Monday, September 1, 2008

Motownphilly back again...doing a little east coast swing...

Can I just say the Boyz II Men concert was AWESOME!!!!



Man, they still got it, and we were thoroughly entertained for an hour and half....in fact in could have lasted forever as far as I was concerned. They sang hits from their first album to the present, and I couldn't stop singing, dancing, and smiling. We had the most amazing seats, literally 10 rows from the stage, and I got to share the experience with some of the most important people in my life.


10 years ago I was in beauty school at Bon Losee in Provo, UT and Boyz II Men were in concert at the Delta Center for their "Evolution" album. I really wanted to go, but had nobody to go with me. I was kind of friends with this girl Tamu at school, and thought maybe it would be fun to go with her, so I asked if she would come with me. Well the rest is history and we have been the best of friends ever since. Now, 10 years later, she flew up from Utah and came to the concert with me again. It was so awesome to have her there and helped ease the pain of not having the person who was supposed to be in that seat not there.

See my mom was supposed to go with me and my sister to the concert, and except for the one in Utah 10 years ago my mom had been with me the other 3 times I had seen Boyz II men. She was a huge fan, just like me. I missed her, but I'm pretty sure she was watching from some pretty dang good seats herself.

One of my mother's favorite songs, and mine as well, is "a song for mama" from Boyz II Men. They sang it at the concert, and I'm not gonna lie it was a little hard to get through. To intro the song they told the crowd to call their mom's or if their mothers were there to hold them close and sing this song to them. Kim and I just looked at each other, half smiled, and just listened to the song.

You taught me everything
And everything you've given me
I always keep it inside
You're the driving force in my life, yeah
There isn't anything
Or anyone I can be
And it just wouldn't feel right
If I didnt' have you by my side

You were there for me to love and care for me
When skies were grey
Whenever I was down
You were always there to comfort me
And no one else can be what you have been to me
You will always be you will always be the girl
In my life for all times

Chorus:
Mama, mama you know I love you
Oh you know I love you
Mama, mama you're the queen of my heart
Your love is like
Tears from the stars
Mama, I just want you to know
Lovin' you is like food to my soul

You're always down for me
Have always been around for me even when I was bad
You showed me right from my wrong
Yes you did
And you took up for me
When everyone was down on me
You always did understand
You gave me strength to go on

There was so many times
Looking back when I was so afraid
And then you come to me
And say to me I can face anything
And no one else can do
What you have done for me
You will always be
You will always be the girl in my life

Chorus

(My short video of their performance)


One of the highlights from the concert was during the song "I'll make love to you" (a classic Boyz II men jam). As in concerts before they passed out red roses to ladies in the audience, unfortunately I was always seated too far away to receive such an honor....but don't think that I don't have one in a vase in my family room right now....cause I do!



Thanks to Tamu.

She and Zandra (another friend that flew up for the concert) bolted up to the front and each received a rose (along with copping a little feel on Shawn's leg).

I was going to join them, but thought surrounding myself with a bunch of crazed female fans in order to get a flower would not be in my best interest at this time (cause you know I would have done what it took to get a flower). Luckily, I had Tamu who came back and gave me her flower....this is why I love her.

Oh what a night!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Seriously, that concert was so much fun! I loved that is was in a small theatre and that we were so close. I was in my own little world...I felt like I was a teenager singing at the top of my lungs in my bedroom. It was great. So glad I got to go with you guys...and so glad we didn't get killed by the crazy homeless man in Seattle. Phew!

Angie said...

i think we were all like little teenagers. I'm so glad my kimmie cakes was there!

Annie said...

That looked like fun. If only N'Sync would reunite--you'd only see that with me, wouldn't you?

Colleen said...

I can't help but hum along as I read your blog. Glad it was so amazing, not that there was a doubt.

Lizzie Ann said...

I just have two words- TOTALLY JEALOUS! I have always loved Boyz II Men. Glad you had a great time at the concert.

Mibi and Lee said...

I am SO JEALOUS...I wish they would come to HAwaii but no one ever does:-( Your baby shower looked way fun and I like your idea of having other people open the presents...Im going to steal that one day.

adrianne said...

So how are you feeling? Is your swelling any better? I hope so. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

adrianne said...

So do you remember the story about me cutting off all your gorgous curls? lol