Wednesday, February 16, 2011

darling can't you hear me S.O.S...

Potty training...It's never an easy decision, and an even more difficult process. And I'm torn.

Here's the situation...and you tell me what you think...

I hadn't plan on potty training Qiana until around 3. From what I gathered around family, friends, and blogs is that by 3 it's an easier process, as they are able to comprehend better. I am already completely freaked out about potty training, and the inevitable messes, and would like to do whatever I can to limit the yuckiness.

Well.... Qiana, has become slightly interested in the idea, feeling uncomfortable in dirty diapers and sitting on her potty while mommy is in the bathroom.  And more importantly I have a daycare provider who is ready and willing to help potty train, which would make the process a little easier right?

But wait...there's more...
I have been reluctant in changing anything in her routine, such as taking away the binky, potty training, or moving into a toddler bed, because we are planning on moving in a couple months, and I know that a big change like that often affects children and they regress a little. I would hate for her, and especially me, to get to used to no diapers, no binky, etc...and have her act out later and want all those things back.

So what do I do?

8 comments:

Lizzie Ann said...

I say seize the opportunity. If you still have a few months before you move, she will be used to it by then and it won't be as big of a deal. And believe me, there will always be a "reason" for putting it off. If she's interested, do it. Good luck!

melanie said...

Pick one thing to change, not all of it. If she seems most interested in potty training I say go for it. I think there's a window when they are into it and then they get harder to train as they get older. Plus, you'll know after a few days if it's absolutely not time. So will the sitter.

Use the thick training underwear in the baby section. Definitely not the cutesy ones with characters kids get bribed with but when she has accidents (and she will), they absorb SO much more. No pee trickling down their leg onto the floor and in their shoes. I swear by them. Then once they get over that, they get to pick cute undies.

Kacey Nielsen said...

I agree with all that has been said and I really really suggest checking out the "potty party" potty train in a day method. It is one insanely long day but it shoved probably three weeks worth of potty training into a day. It was awesome!

Good luck!

Cali said...

I say wait...until you are settled. But the other moms probably know more than me. I have friends who do it really early, kudos to them. Maybe my kids are late bloomers. And maybe it is laziness on my part. I would rather change a diaper than an "accident".

melanie said...

I forgot to say I LOVE the blog makeover!!

Kim said...

I have to agree with Cali. I'd wait. I was scared and overwhelmed by the whole process, so I waited until I felt like there was no excuse to do it. Plus, I've heard summer is a great time to do it! Hey, just remember, Elsie had her binky until a month before her third birthday and had only potty-trained a few weeks before that.

I think some moms are just ready earlier. I wasn't one of them!

ashleyboice said...

Yeah, my first instinct was wait when I read this...

I want to hear more details about you moving...what the heck?? You mentioned something in the family emails...but I want the whole story.

Alissa Maxwell said...

I vote go for it! Your move feels close to you because we think in "adult time," but a couple months is an eternity for a little person. And, if you get her potty trained now, it could give you more child care options after your move.

I would agree to just pick one thing to change. Keep the binky because that will be a security object during the move, but if you get her out of diapers, she won't want 'em back!