Wednesday, January 23, 2008

work it...i need a glass of water

I am still in the process of decorating, so before and after pictures will just have to wait until i can really show you the transformation....but let me tell you it was a process.

TOP 5 THINGS WE DID TO MY NEW HOUSE:

1.painted all the walls. a basic off-white color went on the majority of the walls




with a bright color on one wall in the family room (chocolate brown)

my bedroom (orange)

and the guest bedroom (green)

The bathroom was completely repainted (blue)

All the rooms took at least 2 coats of paint, with a primer needed in the kitchen to turn the rust orange to cream

and the bedrooms

to turn the white to orange and green.

2.deep cleaned the whole house. the house had previous renters that didn't clean anything...ever...let alone before they moved out, so along with a bunch of crap laid out on my yard next to the garbage can and a ridiculous snowman i had to demolish


i also had to go through the entire house and clean before anything could be done. i almost gagged cleaning out the cupboards and countertops of the kitchen

but michelle was a champ as she cleaned the walls and baseboards


3.installed new doorhandles and deadbolts to the front and back doors.

This was quite a process (pretty much everything has been), as the previous doorknob circle was more like an oval, and the doorknobs i bought wouldn't fit. but instead of buying new doorknobs, i decided to take my hammer and screwdriver and chisel out an actual circle and installed the hardware. yeah i kind of rocked that one. I also installed new outlet covers on all the outlets, as some were missing, some were white and didn't match, and all of them were disgustingly dirty


4.chiseled away my countertop in order to fit the fridge. maybe it's because the house is older, but for some reason the space alotted for the fridge was too small width wise for the new sized refrigerators

i could have just bought a fridge that fit the smaller space, but i am low on new fridge money right now, and besides... when i do buy a fridge i want a nice one that will most likely be the same size so i mine as well fix the space now right?....so luckily i had my friend zach around, who is handy with the tools, and he chiseled away the counter and made the fridge fit.

oh happy day!


5.installed a weathering strip on the backdoor. i used a hacksaw!

didn't even know what that was, but apparently it was necessary to cut the weathering sweep for the door down to the correct length...and i did it. then i installed it on the door, using an amazing mallet and screwdriver technique

(since a drill was not present).


we were all tuckered out!

15 comments:

Nina said...

Watch out DIY! Here comes Angie :O) It rocks when you see a girl being handy. BTW, love the green colored wall.

dirty>south said...

TIIIIIMES UP.

::lindsay said...

I'm so impressed! Maybe you could teach Jared a thing or two...

Krystin said...

so cute... can't wait to see it sometime

Piper said...

How exciting! Good for you~!

Samantha said...

I am SOO impressed. And man, you have really nice friends.

Colleen said...

Even though it is hard work, this is my favorite part of home ownership. I love making it mine. I like the colors!

melanie said...

Fabulous wall colors! I'm so glad you got all sorts of help. Congrats on the new place and all that it will bring you.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Oh my word! I can't believe all you did in just a few days. We are perpetual home improvement-ers, and we would never get through all that so fast. Simply amazing - great friends!

Anonymous said...

You know I would have to agree!!! You really do have great friends!

Kacey Nielsen said...

Your house looks great! That is some major effort.

My mom said she saw you at the dance half time performance and said you looked like you were really into Courtney and Kylie's hip hop dance. You'll have to tell me what you thought. I absolutely love that number

Anonymous said...

I know we are all pretty amazing...you forgot to mention the process of "moving in" occured after all the renovations. And the fact we decided no one gets to move in the winter ever!
Nette Nette

Crisdee said...

goodness Angie! you really got that place in shape... I can't wait to see it... Looks great!! your friends ARE AWESOME!! :)

mumovearls said...

I LOVE the colors! when your ready to get crazy and add the final Angie touch call me. I'll help you out!-n

Brenda said...

My sister had a great time with you as always, I'm glad to see you posted the results! How exciting your first HOME!

Brenda
(Michelle's Big Sister)