Thursday, April 11, 2013

This is how we do it....

Winter was rough this year. So So cold. I was miserable. And then my Uncle Tom posted a picture of his vacation to Playa Del Carmen, and I knew I had to go. My friend Mindi and I were already planning to go a on trip together some time this year, so when I mentioned Playa she was totally down to go.  We planned the whole trip in a month, and I couldn't wait. With the help of my awesome cousins, and sister, I got Q's care covered for the week, and she was even more excited for me to go than I was. I'm so blessed to have such great people in my life who are willing to help when I ask.

And then it was finally time to go....and let me tell you...IT WAS THE PERFECT TRIP!!

We stayed at a little hotel right off the main avenue, and it was the perfect location.  Playa del Carmen's 5th avenue is about 25 blocks of a pedestrian only street filled with restaurants, shops, clubs, etc. It's so convenient. Plus the beach was only a block and 1/2 away. The weather was hot but lovely, and we spent our time in the sun, eating, relaxing, chatting, and sightseeing. Mindi and I travel well together. We know the importance of good food while vacationing, would rather relax than head out on too many adventures, and can spend hours people watching.

the center garden of the hotel. 


apparently he's the hotel cat that watches the desk at night. haha

the little hotel pool...mindi and I were the only ones that utilized it for a couple days...we would put music on my iphone and hang out...heavenly!

every day the housekeepers would leave our new towels in a cool way


Along with relaxing and enjoying the sun, we did want to do a couple "touristy" things to see the area. Our first day was spent on a catamaran tour. It was a great way to see the water and the beautiful scenery of Mexico. I also tried my hand at snorkeling for the first time, and I actually quite liked it. We met some cool people on the boat, including a guy from Canada traveling on his own, and twin sisters from Sweden. We had a great time hanging out with them! The staff of the boat were all super friendly, and the captain took quite the liking to me haha. It was so funny. (he would be joined by a restaurant manager, store owner, and waiter as my admirers for the week).











I don't think we are gonna be beer models any time soon. They wanted us to buy it, but we were just ghetto and took a picture of it. 

On our last day, we took the bus out to the Tulum ruins, and walked around a bit. It was a pretty hot day, so we hit the ruins as fast as we could to get out of the heat. If we had been even more prepared we could have brought our swimming stuff and hit the beautiful beaches there. They were gorgeous. 
The ruins were super cool, and fascinating to see. 













channelling my inner Tyra and doing my model poses

Of course we ate some great food. Tom had given us some amazing suggestions for some authentic Italian places that we hit up without question. We also had some delicious gelato, some tacos, an amazing stuffed avocado, tortilla soup, and a delicious breakfast.  

some of the best nachos ever. 

gorgonzola ravioli


our version of Cristal



Salmon and Brie Bruschetta


multiple items from a delicous french bakery

spinach omelette with cheese sauce. 

1 liter fruit smoothie for 2.50$. 



tortilla soup and chorizo taquitos


and of course we relaxed as much as we could during the day, so we could have some fun at night. 


our personal pool

the weather did wonders on my naturally wavy hair

Add caption













Some cool things in Playa del Carmen
These people just pulled over to order a smoothie, and waited (blocking traffic). it was awesome. 


a church right in the middle of the city walk

and just in case you felt bad for Q while I was having fun in Mexico...
making banana bread with Kelsey

dancing with Joey

Q loves Cali

q and her baby willie

twin cousins!


It was such an amazing trip, one of my favorites. Mindi and I are already planning a time to go back! 

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Oh WOW! That looks amazing and makes me need the beach. THE WATER COLOR!!!! What a great, relaxing, fun trip!