Thursday, February 21, 2008

say my name...say my name

I'll set the scene:

After a long day of riding rides, eating good food, and walking what seemed like miles us girls were tired and worn out. We sat along a wall near the New Orleans Square, killing time before the fireworks show started, and just got ready to people watch. I was looking at the hords of people walking past us and spotted a group of teenage girls with matching sweatshirts with their names on the back. The girls started to walk away and I yelled "becca!" and then looked forward nonchalantly sipping my hot cocoa. The girl spun around, confused, wondering who had said her name, and spotted michelle and emily staring at her wide-eyed...like a deer in headlights. The girl turned around and just continued walking away. I started laughing hysterically.

Emily: "did you know her?"
me: "no, i just saw her name on her sweatshirt".....

and thus the shouting name game was born!

Luckily Disneyland offers any souvenir buyer the chance to put their name in those crazy characters hats, and thus makes it easy for us to find a unknowing participant. I love the look of confusion on a persons face when they look around frantically trying to figure out who and why someone called their name. When no personalized hats or sweatshirts could be found we would just wait for a big group of people to walk by and call out common names like Mike, Amy, Matt, or Aaron/Erin and see if somebody turned around.

hilarious.

sometimes, if you say the name with enough conviction people will actually turn around with a look on their face like "I didn't know my name was mike, but maybe it is..."

hours of fun.

We also noticed some annoying fashion trends (boots with the fur, hollister tee's, abercrombie tee's, college or state pride sweatshirts) and started calling them out whenever we saw them...even mid-sentence. such as...

"okay after this ride we will head over to (BOOTS) thunder mountain".

that can get crazy.

9 comments:

Krystin said...

haha nice, also like at a graduation, or concert when people are standing up trying to get someone else attention- i ususally wave at them to see if it will throw them off.

Samantha said...

I love road trip games.

Alissa Maxwell said...

I love it! In college, we always said that if you ran into a guy and couldn't remember his name, just guess: Matt, Mike, John, or Ryan. In our generation, that seems to cover about 70% of the guys you might meet. All names worth yelling at a crowd.

Colleen said...

I am so jealous you are in sunny Cali at the Happiest Place on Earth! It sounds like you are having a fantastic time!

Kim said...

Not only is Disneyland the happiest place on earth, but it is the best for people watching and random name calling. No place can top that!

::lindsay said...

That's funny! You guys always come up with fun things to do.

ashleyboice said...

We wore matching disney shirts with our names on them last time we went. Hahahaa. It was awesome because there was 24 of us and the kiddos thought that it was the COOLEST thing ever. Cortney on the other hand was like...I hate wearing shirts with my name on them because then some smart alec (I can guarantee those aren't the words he actually said...just a little more web friendly) can say stuff like "nice shirt cortney". Hahaaa.

Piper said...

YESSSSS! I have been doing that for years! I always use "Jimmy". Someone always turns around....

melanie said...

We used to do this all the time down on the strip. It was hilarious when we would find a teenage kid walking around with his parents. Then we would proceed to humiliate him as he saw the sites.

Good times at Disneyland!