Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So give a little bit...Give a little bit of your time to me

After watching the first episode of Oprah's "Big Give", I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I am not emotionally stable enough to watch this show. Forget "Extreme Home Makeover" with it's tear inducing stories (child's play), this show takes it to a whole new level! The show should start with a warning "Will induce serious uncontrollable tears, thoughts of "what have I been doing with my own life", and the instant need to give service". This show is amazing. I was a little apprehensive to watch it, because of it's connection to Oprah (and as some of you know I got lots of issues with that woman)...but I'm glad I did. This show is crazy awesome. I could do without a couple of these contestants, like the lady in the wheelchair (annoying!), but overall these people have huge hearts, and have the ability to accomplish so much in such a little period of time...I am baffled and amazed.


For those of you who don't know....here is the premise:

Each week the contestants receive sealed envelopes with only a picture and the name of a complete stranger, and some starting cash. Under intense pressure, they must figure out how to change this person's life in just five days. The contestants must use their creativity and resources to generate the most powerful and sensational ways to make a real difference. Each week the situations will get harder, and the contestants will have less money to start with, but it's up to them to change lives. After the fifth day, and the "big reveals" they are judged by three judges, and the person who "gave the least" or basically did the worst job is sent home. In the end the winner or "biggest giver" will receive $1 million dollars (a fact the contestants know nothing about).

My two favorite stories this week:
1. was the wife and two kids who lost their husband/father/war vet 6 weeks ago when he was murdered at work at home depot. The mother was worried about paying bills, keeping their home, and paying for their kids eduction at a catholic school. The two men who got her, were able to get their education at the school paid for completely, set up a college fund for the future, and give her like $50,000 towards her mortgage.

2. was the mother and two high school age children who were homeless and had been living on the streets and now in a shelter. all she wanted was a job and a skill, but the two contestants that helped her were able to get her a car, money for a home, and money for college for her kids.

6 comments:

Krystin said...

What are the basics of the show?

::lindsay said...

I didn't watch it. I thought it was going to be too cheesy. Shoot! Now I wish that I did.

Kim said...

I'm the same as Lindsay...well, and I haven't been home. OK, I'm going to catch it next time!

Krystin said...

Did #2 ever even get a job/skill?? hope so, because i think that will do more than just giving her stuff don't ya think?

melanie said...

I totally agree with the disclaimer, I was a teary mess. I thought it would be cheesy too but I really liked it. Another show to be hooked on.

My fav was the new widow too. I lost it when they let the balloons go. And the lady in the wheelchair is annoying!

Mandi said...

Agreed. I couldn't decide if I wanted to watch, so I DVR'd it. Glad I did. I had that sma feeling to get off my fat butt and do something for someone!