Friday, November 30, 2007

it's that time of year...christmas time is here

I love music, and Christmas music is no different. I currently have about 11 hours of Christmas music with artists ranging from Smashing Pumpkins to Michael Crawford, from Boyz II Men to George Strait. It just makes me so happy. Once thanksgiving is over and snow starts to fall it's time to put on the holiday music and get into the Christmas spirit.
So here is my...


TOP 5 FAVORITE "TRADITIONAL" CHRISTMAS SONGS:

1. O Holy Night. By far, the best song. gives me chills everytime.
Favorite version: Michael Crawford's (the original Phantom of the Opera).

2. Silent Night. Classic.
Favorite version: Boyz II Men (acapella=amazing)

3. Up on the Housetop. just fun.
Favorite version: Jackson 5 (this Christmas album defined my holidays as a child)

4. O' Come all Ye Faithful. gorgeous.
Favorite version: Celine Dion

5. White Christmas. never goes out of style
Favorite version: Bing Crosby (of course!)

Honorable Mentions:
-Angels We Have Heard on High by Donny Osmond. c'mon it's Donny.
-Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Luther Vandross. all you need is some hot cocoa.
-The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting) by Nat King Cole.

TOP 5 "NON-TRADITIONAL" CHRISTMAS SONGS:

1. Last Christmas. love it love it love it.
Favorite version: Savage garden

2. All I want for Christmas is you. when those jingle bells kick in I smile everytime.
Favorite version: Mariah Carey

3. This Christmas. soulful.
Favorite version: Christina Aguilera

4. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. fun fun fun.
Favorite version: N'Sync. :)

5. Grown Up Christmas List. such a good song.
Favorite version: Monica

Honorable Mentions:
-Funky Funky Christmas by NKOTB. The st.nick rap part is the best
-Christmas Don't Be late by Alvin and the Chipmunks. "gee i want a hula-hoop"
-River by Robert Downey Jr. kind of a depressing song, but perfect for those "lonely" holidays.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I do not have any of the Jackson 5 christmas songs. I need to get those from someone. Seriously, it's the best. Remember when we made that video for Jared while he was on his mission...didn't we sing one of the songs or something. Random memory...let me know if I'm just crazy.

I was just listening to 'N Sync christmas album...it still makes me happy.

Nina said...

Aah, White Christmas is my favorite. I forgot to put that in blog about traditions. Thanks for reminding me!

melanie said...

Hands down O Holy Night tops my list too. I love Micheal Crawford singing it but I love the version by Josh Groban too (I guess it's a tie for me). It's on some crazy NBC Christmas mix I got one year.

Actually, I love your whole list. Christmas music makes me happy too. And how can you not sing along? Great post.

melanie said...

I forgot, do you like any of the Rosie Christmas songs/albums? I usually get those stuck in my head too.

Kacey Nielsen said...

Mariah Careys Christmas album... what happened to those good ole' days?

Loved the list, only one I'd add is the Carpenters "Merry Christmas Darling". Don't know why but i just love it.

::lindsay said...

Good list. I love listening to Christmas music. It really puts me in the Christmas spirit.

I'm glad the concert was good. I was pretty sad I couldn't go, but with moving and the crazy long hours in the car I think it was probably better that I didn't. Hope you can come see us soon!

Colleen said...

I love that Jackson 5 album! And that is definitley the best song, close second, I saw mommy kissing santa claus. What about New Kids Got Run Over by a Reindeer? The KUBE version.

Piper said...

Oh Holy Night is my all time favorite too! Have you heard the Martina McBride version?