Monday, June 9, 2008

mama...mama you know i love you...

I was planning on writing a blog dedicated to my mom last sunday as it was her 58th birthday. But then it was too late. (for more details check out my sister-in-law lindsay's blog).

But I needed to say something.

A couple years ago I wrote this poem for my mom for mother's day...I thought I would share it as it still holds true.




One thank you or one hug
One kiss or thoughtful touch
Isn’t enough, to tell you
How I love you so much

One gift or one day of rest
One flower or one card
Isn’t enough to tell you
Thanks for working so hard

One day a year isn’t enough
To help you understand and see
The life that I have-is because of you
And all the love you have given me

One thank you isn’t enough
To give back the love you give me
So I give a thank you for every year
Since I came to be.

Thank you for carrying me
Thank you for keeping me safe and warm
Thank you for protecting me from
Sickness, death, or harm

Thank you for giving birth
And sorry for any pain
Thank you for holding me
And loving me
Understanding life would never be the same

Thank you for my childhood years
Thank you for teaching me
To sit, crawl, walk, and eat
Thank you for guidance, and protection
And a mother’s love that can’t be beat

Thank you for instilling in me
Faith, humor, strength, and smarts
Thank you for not only being the best mom
But having the strength to play both parts



Thank you for letting me go to school
Knowing education will help me in life
Thank you for helping me with homework
And getting me through the grade school turmoil and strife

Thank you for not forgetting about us
When others came into your life
Thank you for always being a mother first
Even when you were someone’s wife

Thank you for wanting the best for me
Even if that meant I didn’t want you around
Thank you for being there to pick up the pieces
When my friends would eventually let me down

Thank you for helping me go away
Knowing that time apart would be nice
Thank you for always writing or calling
And always supporting me in life

Thank you for crying with me
When life and love broke my heart
Thank you for knowing when I needed change
And for doing what you could to help me start

Thank you for opening your arms to me
And for always giving me a home to come to
Thank you for giving me a life after school
With skills and friends to last my days through

Thank you for being someone I can talk to
About friends, boys, and shows
And thank you for being a mother
That to every question an answer she knows

Thank you for giving me love, patience, and cash
And for making sure I was always fed
Thank you for knowing when I needed space to learn and grow
Or offering me a shoulder to lay my dreary head

Thank you for always being there
As the years past you stayed by my side
Thank you for helping me get through
The best and worst years of my life

16 comments:

Krystin said...

beautiful..

Mandi said...

That was beautiful. Made me cry. You are so strong, and so was she.

::lindsay said...

Such a beautiful poem and so fitting. I totally have the "ugly cry" right now.

Jill said...

Oh Angie, we've been thinking of you guys all week long. The poem is beautiful, my kids are wondering why I am teary. Hugs and prayers from us.

Jenifer said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine. My thoughts will be with you.

Annie said...

That poem is lovely.

Aly said...

That was a beautiful poem. I wanted to let you know how perfect the service was on Friday. You guys could not have done a better job or said anything else. It was the perfect tribute to your mom. She was really the most genuine, sincere, and fun person. I am so glad we all could be there.
Alyson

Anonymous said...

Love you Ang. Jared Frogley

Piper said...

We love you all so much Angie. What a wonderful poem. Your mom always made everyone she came in contact with loved and special. I was lucky to recieve her warmth also. She will be greatly missed.

Crisdee said...

such a great poem... It's awesome that you have all these great experiences with her, we will miss her a lot!

melanie said...

Angie, you are amazing and your talk on Friday was perfect. Absolutely perfect. Love this poem and that you were able to give it to her. I want to give my children the things you wrote about. Love you, you're in my prayers.

Nicole said...

Wow Angie! That poem is so perfect! And so true. I'm sure your Mom treasured that.

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to say hi at the funeral. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I know this is crazy hard. You and your family are in my prayers.

Colleen said...

Beautiful. Just like your mom! I love you guys and keep you in my prayers!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Can I just ditto Melanie's comments, Angie? You gave a great tribute to your mom (both at the funeral and in this post).

I'm thinking of you.

Mitchell Mark said...

Hey Angie,

Love your poem! Amazing, I wish I could write like that.

mumovearls said...

Thank you for sharing this Angie. You are in our thoughts and prayers...Love your guts-Nena