Tuesday, May 20, 2008

let's go to the movies....let's go see the stars...

A few posts ago I talked about some movies that I watched over and over as a child and have loved ever since. well after I completed that list I realized that there was some more, and thus I am making it an ongoing list. Little reminders of movies that I love.

1. Summer School: the whole concept of the this film is amazing. A bunch of misfit high schoolers stuck in summer school and a fun loving, playful, irresponsible, gym teacher stuck teaching them. My favorite character: chainsaw. Seriously one of the best movie characters of all time. "you stay here, you come with me" "they're somewhere in this room"


2. Troop Beverly Hills: one of Shelley Long's greatest movies, this film puts a self-centered rich woman in charge of a bunch of wilderness girls from the beverly hills as they try and beat the "red feathers" in selling cookies and becoming real wilderness girls. favorite scene: when the token rich black girl with attitude puts on a concert to sell cookies..."it's cookie time!"


3. Muppets Take Manhattan: I love the muppets. Love the muppet show, love the muppet movies. This movie was amazing. The muppet characters take their little singing and dancing show to new york to try and get signed on broadway. Star cameos all of the place. Laughter, tears, dancing, and singing. Good times. Favorite character: forever and always.....Miss Piggy. The muppet baby scene is probably one of the greatest of all time. "gonna be a movie star...and i'm gonna learn to drive a car...."


4. Shelley Duvall's "Faerie Tale Theater": I don't even know how we found these, but our local video rental place had the whole series growing up and we watched them all...over and over...my brother Jared even owns them on dvd now. They are non-animated adaptations of classic faerie tales with famous (80's) actors/actresses playing the roles, and of course Shelley Duvall ("as you can see my collection has grown") is in all of them. Favorite tales: the frog prince with Robin Williams, and the Nightingale with Mick Jagger (not kidding)


5. 1980's children sci-fi fantasy movies: I had to put all of these together in one category mostly because it's so funny to me that I liked these movies, since this is not the genre I usually go for as an adult....but as a child I guess i couldn't get enough.
Cloak and Dagger: about a boy who's arcade game hero comes to life and they engage in a real life fight for their lives. (starring the kid from E.T.)

Flight of the Navigator: about a boy who finds a spaceship and is transported to the future. Instead of being a lab rat he enlists the help of a glorified candy striper (sarah jessica parker) and escapes the lab and tries to get back to the past.


D.A.R.Y.L: which stands for "Data Analyzing Robot Youth Lifeform" is a movie about a boy who was created by the US government as an experiment in artificial intelligence, but is freed by one of the scientists and adopted by a regular family. Daryl shows uncanny skills at many things such as baseball and video games, but one day the government finds him and returns him to the lab....and of course he tries to escape.

7 comments:

::lindsay said...

Love Summer School and Troop Beverly Hills! Shelly Long reminds me of Jared as Scoutmaster.

Mitch N' Golden said...

CLOAK AND DAGGER, sweet moses! I thought I was the only person in the world who knew bout this movie. Love it! I was always scared about the old lady with the 3 fingers.

Kim said...

We LOVED "Summer School"! Well, I guess all these movies were big time favorites. However, I did just remember a little movie called "Crash Course" (I hope I'm not wrong on that)...wasn't it a TV movie? Anyway, just had to mention that one, too.

Piper said...

Oh Angie! I used to watch the muppet babies scene in Muppets Take Manhattan over and over again! "Mama, dada, boop boop sha wa wa!"

April said...

I love all these movies too! I think the funniest thing to do is to watch Troop Beverly Hills and look closely at the young girls. Some went on to do some bigger things, it is like trivia and a movie in one!!

melanie said...

Thanks, I'm totally singing your title. Love me a little Annie.

Oh all of these are classics. Not sure if I still could but I used to be able to quote a few of these. Maybe it would all come back to me?

Kat has all the Faerie Tale Theater's on DVD too. Borrow them anytime, :)! 6 DVD's worth!

Do a post for your fans....will it be David or David?

Gwen Stoker said...

I almost put Troop Beverly Hills on my list too!!!