Tuesday, May 6, 2008

lookin back...on the memories of...

I've been inspired by my friend Mitch Poth's blog and his take on the #5 underrated but awesome movies. I have decided to make my own list. A list of movies that I have seen thousands of times throughout my childhood and thus have a certain attachment to them regardless of their faults. These are the movies that I love, but I'm pretty sure if any adult tried watching them for the 1st time now, would not appreciate the beauty and awesomeness of these films. They are my childhood films, the go-to rentals when we were young, the ones we have watched millions of times, have memorized, and will love forever...no matter how ridiculous they are.

here are my....

TOP 5 FAVORITE CHILDHOOD MOVIES:

1. Girls Just Want to Have Fun: The story of a young girl who is afraid to betray her strict military parents and pursue her dreams of becoming a dancer on Dance TV. I love this movie. I own this movie. I have seen this movie too many times to count, and each time I find new things to appreciate about it. I'm pretty sure that if I ever met Helen Hunt or Sarah Jessica Parker in real life I would be forced to ask them about this little gem, because they need to know that even if they didn't think it was that awesome....I did, and it shaped my childhood.
"slow, slow, quick, quick , slow"


2. The Neverending Story: The story of a young boy, Bastian, being pulled into the story of Fantasia and the people that live in it, and the "nothing" that is threatening to destroy it. I don't like this genre of movies usually. Even now, I try to avoid these sci-fi fantasy movies like the plague. And as a child, forget it....the "Labrynth" scared me. I didn't get "the dark crystal". and honestly "Willow" well we all know my issues with that one. But this movie, this little diamond in the rough won me over and continues to give me delight. There are so many little things I love about this movie. The "child-like empress", the freaky creature that rides the flying animal and his friend with the fast snail, the rock monster with "such strong hands" that couldn't stop the nothing, Artex the horse that sunk in the swamp of sorrow, the scientist who built the telescope, and of course the two main characters Bastian the whiny kid from D.A.R.R.Y.L. who helped save Fantasia by calling out his mother's name (so inaudibly that I still don't know what he said after all these years) and Atreyu the boy warrior who travels through Fantasia to try and stop the nothing.
"No, not too much, we still have a long way to go"


3. Breakin': The story of a classically trained dancer who teams up with a couple street dancers (turbo and ozone) to create a new dance sensation. The soundtrack is amazing, the dancing is awesome and terrible all at one time, the outfits are completely 80's and therefore incredible...but the movie stands the test of time. I still get excited each time I watch Turbo and Ozone teach Special K breakin' moves and they try them out dance battling at the club. I still get a creepy feeling every time Kelly is dancing for her jazz teacher and he seems to get a little "too excited" with her movements and almost attacks her. And even after all these years I still don't understand how Ozone could consider himself manly wearing a half shirt and bone earring.
"Special K...what....Special K...that's your street name...all good dancers have one"


4. Back to the Beach: The musical comedy featuring Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello in a story about two parents who travel back to California with their troubled son to surprise their daughter and of course hijinx and shenanigans transpire. With cameos from Pee Wee Herman, Skipper and Gilligan, Stevie ray Vaughn, Wally and the Beav, and Don Adams this movie is a winner! I couldn't get enough of it as a child, and it still makes me smile today. The music and dance numbers are awesome, the over-acting is perfect, and Frankie and Annette are still just as adorable, plus watching Frankie surf the "humunga cowabunga from downunda" is pretty much the most amazing special effect you will ever see in your lifetime.
"You can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys"


5. Big Business: The story of two sets of twins switched at birth, one from a wealthy city family and one from a small town poor family and what happens with the twins meet up as adults. Starring Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin in one of their best performances ever (my personal opinion) this movie has both laughs and tears and is sure to entertain.
"I have a right to my own feelings Sadie and I am not a twit. I may be pre-periodic and I may be hysterical. So what?"




What are some of your favorite, but perhaps not widely appreciated, childhood movies? And don't be ashamed....my friend Emily loves "Drop Dead Fred"...nothing can be worse than that.

13 comments:

::lindsay said...

I really liked Breakin', LOVED Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Big Business was okay.

Neverending Story---I hate that big mangy dog...I know it's a the Luck Dragon, whatever. I'm not really a fan.

Don't even get me started on Back to the Beach. Jared bought that when we were first married and he talked that movie up like it was the best movie ever. Yep, that was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back. I think you guys like this one strictly for nostalgia's sake.

Angie said...

hahahahahaa. I loved that jared made you watch back to the beach....at least I understand that these movies may not be appreciated by everyone, especially after a certain age.

Emily Katlyn West said...

Ha Ha ha so funny! I say we take a poll. . . which movie is more ridiculous, Back to the Beach or Drop Dead Fred!!! Does back to the beach have characters like "Go to Hell Herman". . . . . .didn't think so!!

Annie said...

I thought I was the only person in the world who saw Back to the Beach. And loved it.

Angie said...

emily don't even try to deny that if you actually watched back to the beach that you wouldn't love it. it has singing and dance numbers!

Krystin said...

Splash!!!!! with Tom Hanks.

Piper said...

HELLO!!!!! I recently PURCHASED Breakin' on DVD for Cannon! He loves it as much as I do!! Nice family tradition, huh? I'm itching to buy Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo..........

Piper said...

Oh, and p.s. Big business is great too. I also loved, 9 to 5
and Clue and Ghostbusters and Weekend at Bernies! Yipes!

Mitch N' Golden said...

Nice list Angie! Oh wow Back to the Beach! Haha, I sometimes thought cuz I have never heard nor seen it since the age of 10 that I made the movie up and it was a dream. But now I know it is real. My favorite part is when Peewee Comes to the beach and sings his song haha.
Yeah Love breakin! The only one on your list I own. At byu we would watch that movie and try to learn the moves. We also downloaded each of the songs and “ain’t nobody” is one of my favs.
Sweet list!

Kim said...

Troop Beverly Hills!! I must include that one.

I still love all those movies!

Jill said...

I love all of yours but I must add "The Princess Bride". My brother and I watched that one over and over.

dirty>south said...

1. tune in tokyo - best way to meet girls

2. Bastian's Father: Take a look at that rag you're wearing.
Bastian: I like it.
Bastian's Father: Well, I don't.
Bastian: Mom made it. You don't remember, do you?

oh wait, that's part 2 - another classic

3. whenever I sweep the floor I sometimes try and dance like Turbo did with the broom. I can't get it to float, though.

4. "hey boo - would you like a stunned mullen? Cuz, I'm buying you two!"

5. don't remember it much, but I remember lily tomlin making some sort of snake noise.

Lizzie Ann said...

Mine is "Better Off Dead". I love that movie! One of the best comedies ever, and so many quotable lines.