Thursday, July 31, 2008

It drives me wild...cause I'm real

I'm sure all of my fellow SYTYCD watchers have noticed the obnoxious and confusing "sign" that many of the dancers are displaying this season. You know the one....the four fingers on the shoulder. Well I just can't take it anymore and I needed to figure out what it meant. I mean even LL Cool J did it last week after his performance. So here is what I found in my internet search...


1. A rep for the show told EW.com that the symbol stands for IV (roman numerals) REAL. An inside joke among season 4 contestants that started with Comfort, Joshua, Twitch, and Will. About this being "FOR REAL" and the "4th season". They even had tee-shirts made.


2. Many have also speculated that it might have a connection to the website 4real.com which is "a community of individuals around the world who are passionate about creating social change through action, art, and culture".

Whatever the reason is I think it needs to stop. Cause just like most cool things that black people come up with, once older white people start doing them (like nigel and mary) then the coolness has completely gone and it's time for something new.

6 comments:

::lindsay said...

Ah, thank you! I've been wondering what that meant. I thought I was just completely out of it.

Krystin said...

i agree..
good for you for doing the research.. i found out from jeff's 12 year old sister.. haha

dirty>south said...

also see:

raising the roof, saying "fo shizzle", breakdancing, and cornrows.

The Donald said...

I made it here via Lindsay's blog. Thanks for the info.

melanie said...

My uncool, not in the know status is well known. I had no idea what it was. Thanks to your cool, always in the know status, now I do too!

adrianne said...

Agreed, amen sista.lol