Thursday, November 8, 2007

Never knew I had such a lesson to learn...

"i'm feeling good from my head to my shoe,
know where i'm going and i know what to do,
i've tidied up my point of view,
i've got a new attitude" -Patti Labelle

I usually don't like to talk to much about personal stuff, the attention- whether good or bad- from others makes me uncomfortable and self-conscious, but something miraculous has happened in my life and I felt the need to share.
As many of you know 6 months ago, I decided to take control of my life, and my weight, and I received the lap-band surgery in order to change my unhealthy lifestyle and become the woman on the outside that I was on the inside. I realized that, unfortunately, the world isn't fair and as much as I would like to believe that socially I could succeed on my "amazing" personality alone, I realized I couldn't and needed help. What a difference it has made. 6 months later and I am feeling wonderful. The road hasn't been easy, I've had to cut out a lot of foods that had become best friends and emotional crutches when I needed them. I have missed them, I don't know if those cravings will ever end, but I am a strong person and have finally learned the ability to say "no thank you". It has been so worth it. I feel like I have truly made a lifestyle change and I see the difference every day. I have cut out my once necessary daily "naps", go to bed earlier, have energy throughout the day, get attention from boys, and can "drop it likes it hot" on the dance floor and not get winded. I love my life.
So on to the news....
I bought my first pair of jeans from a regular store yesterday! size 14. To many of my "non-weight challenged" readers, this may seem uneventful, but for me-a girl who hates spending money on clothes yet has had to buy jeans from plus-sized specialty stores since she can remember- this is a huge accomplishment. I don't remember the last time I could buy clothes in regular sizes, and it feels so good to finally be able to. The total amount of my weight loss is a mystery, since I never weigh myself as to avoid becoming a "numbers" person instead of a "how I feel person", but for the record-I am down from a 20 to a 14 in pants and a XXL to a M in shirts. Amazing.
I am so thankful for the courage and strength I have been given to accomplish my goals and the support of family and friends each day. I still have a ways to go until I reach my final goal, but these little victories, these small accomplishments give me the drive I need.

Before:


After:

(this picture is a movie re-enactment from atop the "rocky" stairs in philadelphia----and not a cheesy "biggest loser" I DID IT picture)

14 comments:

Kim said...

Ang, I'm so proud of you and am so impressed with all you've been able to do. I know you feel so happy, and it shows! You are a great example to me. Yippee for smaller sizes...that's the best.

Colleen said...

Quien es? Es Bonita! You look hot g.f! You are amazing and I am glad you are giving yourself the props you deserve because saying no to the foods you love is DANG hard!

PRP said...

Hey Angie,

I'm a friend of Linday and Jared's and I've been lurking here for awhile...your posts crack me up! You and your brother are a lot alike!

Anyway, jsut wanted to say congrats on the amazing accomplishment. You should be so incredibly proud. And you look smokin' hot!

Karen

mumovearls said...

I am SO proud of you I have noticed how much you have lost and You LOOK GREAT!-nena
ps: yes she can drop it -I saw!

Nina said...

Angie, although I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person I am sooo proud that you have taken charge of your life and are working hard to accomplish such a difficult goal! You look AMAZING! Congrats!

Erin said...

You have always been gorgeous Angie, and your fabulous personality and sense of humor is something that surgery cannot give a person; even though you may have been hard on yourself at times, there are many people who envy you and would give anything to have your charm and whit. I am so so happy for you, and again have always thought you were a babe in every way! (except for in a lesbian way obviously!)
Love ya,
Erin
P.S. Tell your mom I said hi!

::lindsay said...

Wow, Ang! You look amazing and we are so proud of you. Kim's right--your happiness does show. It's like you are finally feeling like the amazing person we always knew you were.

ashleyboice said...

I think you look awesome. I am so proud of you.

Krystin said...

THAT'S SOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know that definately feels good.

Peggy Dee said...

Angie you are the best. Don't you wish everyone's looks were a reflection of their inner beauty? Then we would all be free to judge a book by its cover! How nice would that be? Wouldn't dating be so much easier?! Wait, I digress...
You look fantastic and you deserve every bit of it! Congratulations on all your hard work!!!

Piper said...

Good for you Angie!! Leaving certain foods is like breaking up with a guy who is good looking, but he's a jerk! ("he's just really sensitive, he's a Cancer!") I am so proud of you, you are an example to me! I love you sistah!

melanie said...

I'm so happy for you Angie! I love that you wrote this post, so great to look back on later down the road and see how far you've come. You look FABULOUS!! Ahhh smaller sizes, seriously the best!! Congrats!!

Myca said...

I agree...you do look amazing. You are so hot.

Mandi said...

wow, that is inspirational. You really do look amazing. I bet it feels good. My sister did the same thing, and feels GREAT!