This is a pop culture post....yep I'm getting back to my roots.
I have so many thoughts (and some rants) about some current pop culture stuff and I figured why not just blog about it.
1. I love the Real Housewives of NJ, but am beginning to have to fast forward thru every scene that Danielle is in. That lady is CRAZY DELUSIONAL! On the other hand, I want to pack up my stuff and move in with Caroline, cause that lady is awesome.
2. Bethenny Frankel is by far my favorite "housewife" on all of the Real Housewives shows that are out there, and I have loved watching Bethenny getting Married? (great title right...I feel like this would be exactly what people would say if they heard that I had finally found somebody too...what? Angie's getting married?). Anyway. Bethenny is so freakin hilarious, and pretty much the queen on the one liners of reality show tv. Plus her husband is so dang adorable, and with a new baby too...you can't help but cheer for her.
3. Do you like hip hop? Then you must download the new albums by Drake, Eminem, and the Roots. All amazing.
4. So you think you can dance.....oh where do I start with this?
We will go with an old school pro's and con's list.
pro: No more mary murphy
con: with the constant shameless self-promoting from Nigel, the crying, the blantant favoritism, and the sometimes confusing comments...I pretty much fast forward through all the judges comments anyway.
pro: The all-stars have all been super amazing. and so fun to watch
con: on many of the routines, I completely forget to even watch the "contestants". Talk about being overshadowed by dance veterans....not quite sure that was a good plan.
pro: There have been some amazing routines this season
con: Often times the judges overreactions of crying, and standing ovations, and overbearing praise completely ruin my view of the dance and I then can't stand anybody involved.
This brings me to my biggest rant of the show.....Alex Wong.
1. yes he was an amazing dancer...he should have been since he was in a dance company!
2. yes the hip hop routine with Twitch was good...but the best hip hop routine of the show? ever? c'mon!
3. yes, his official talent is that of a "ballet dancer" but you can't tell me that he hasn't been trained in other forms? that through his many years of dance, since childhood, that he hasn't taken any other dance classes? that that hip hop routine or that contemporary routine was his first time ever dancing in those genres? sorry...I don't buy it.
Don't get me wrong. I liked Alex. I think he is an amazing dancer, but to me he symbolizes what is wrong with the whole show. I thought the show was to discover the next unknown dancer, To give someone the opportunity, that they may not normally have, to get a dance contract, to get signed to a company, to get dance jobs. Like Danny of season 2, Alex is already in "the business". He has already been discovered, he is already making a name for himself. How is it fair that small town dancers, like Kent, have to go against these people that have so much more experience than they do? American Idol doesn't let somebody who has had a recording contract, whether they were successful or not, or even if they never put out an album be a contestant on their show...so why does SYTYCD allow successful dancers? Is it because Nigel is more concerned about showcasing "amazing" Emmy-winning routines, instead of actually making an over-night success?
It's obvious, from the Top 10 selection this year that Nigel must not be too happy with the "untechnical" dancers winning so many seasons, so he has stacked the deck with mostly contemporary, technical dancers, hoping that one of them finally wins.
5. Thank goodness for the USA network. They provide me so many awesome summer shows. Burn Notice, Psych, White Collar, and Royal Pains...all great great shows.
6. Songs I am loving right now:
1. Alicia Keys feat beyonce: Put it in a love song (alicia plus beyonce? yeah it's a great combination!)
2. DJ Klahed: All I do is win (try not to get pumped up to this song...just try...yep it's impossible)
3. Taio Cruz: Dynamite (great dance song...or turning it up loud and drive around in your car)
4. Enrique iglesias: I like it (also a great dance jam...gotta love enrique!)
5. Travie Mccoy feat bruno Mars: Billionaire (ultimate awesome summer song)
6. Drake: Find your love
Fireworks (feat. Alicia Keys) (i love drake. seriously. )
7. Eminem feat. Rihanna: Love the way you lie (Eminem's album is less pop sounding and more angry rap, which is what Eminem does best...he had a lot of issues to work through...hope this album helped)
8. Justin Bieber feat Usher: Somebody to love (remix) (so dang catchy!! I love it)
9. Trey Songz: Your side of the bed (oooohhh Trey Songz!. Ladies, look at a picture of his album cover and give me one reason not to long this smooth r'n'b singer)
10. The Roots: Dear God 2.0 (The roots know how to make real hip hop, and hip hop with a voice, a cause. They play real instruments, and have so much talent)
11. Jamie Foxx feat. Justin Timberlake: Winner. (the title says it all)
Any thoughts on pop culture you want to share? Any topics you want me to cover next time?