Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The best things in life are free...

While watching "the biggest loser" last night the thought goes through my head that comes every week "why do they have to vote people off?"

I understand the voting off process is necessary in games such as amazing race, survivor, big brother but in "social experiments" or games where the goal is a personal or life changing experience, I don't see the point in kicking people off. I enjoy watching shows such as biggest loser and beauty and the geek, but feel that these people would benefit so much more by being able to stay until the end. I understand that prize money is also an issue, but I think that weight loss, social acceptance, or intelligence should be a bigger prize worth fighting for. But with the "competition" lingering in the air, and money up for grabs often times the shows become more about voting off "the competition" instead of what it is really about...changing for the better. Here is my idea for:



They can still have weekly events where prizes are awarded, and the weekly weigh ins, but I think the people who "fall below the yellow line" shouldn't be in jeopardy of going home, but have more one on one time with trainers or be forced to work hard in chores or some other "punishment". Isn't the point of this show to get people healthy and lose weight? hen why kick off fragile, weak, and often low self esteemed people and send them into the a real world they are obviously not ready for. I think everybody should be able to stay until the end...then see who lost the most weight.



If a social experiment is truly what the producers want, why are we sending socially retarded men, and ditsy self absorbed women back home before they have a chance to really change for the better. Why can't everybody stay for the whole two or so months, and in the end have one big "challenge" to see who has transformed or learned the most from the experiment. I think that would be a better "indicator" of transformation then who can simply "outwit" the other players and vote off their competition.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I definitely agree with you about the Biggest Loser. It makes me feel so sad for the people when they get kicked off. They all need to be there. It is rewarding to see the update on them, though. I'm glad to see they are able to stick with it...but it must be so hard!

Samantha said...

I agree 100%. Let's write a letter.

Krystin said...

I agree. Because even if a person goes home and loses the most % of weight loss, they still arent "The biggest loser" and that just defeats the whole purpose. right?

Jill said...

Totally agree with you as well. These people are working hard to lose weight and get healthy, let's just go for overall percentage loss to see who wins the money.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Right on Angie! Though I was pretty impressed with David's weight loss after leaving the show this week. The look on his wife's face was priceless when she realized she could put her arms fully around him. That in itself is a beautiful reward for his hard work.

ashleyboice said...

man...as always I have the same comment as sam. I agree 100%. (lets start a petition)

ashleyboice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.