Thursday, September 13, 2007

gonna dress you up in my love...


TOP 5 THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM "TIM GUNN'S: GUIDE TO STYLE" ON BRAVO TV:

1. there are 10 core items that every women should have in her closet (basic black dress, trenchcoat, classic dress pants, skirt, blazer, classic white shirt, day dress, cashmere sweater, jeans, comfortable alternative to sweatsuit) and i only own like 2 of these. i wish there was a classy option for those who don't like to layer....sweaters, coats, blazers! all not my thing.

2. a new mantra: "i cannot control the perception of me, only the presentation of me". so true right? i think i need to put this on my mirror...

3. for my "pear shaped" figure, dresses and dressy shirts should be empire waisted. wrap dresses are also good. these items emphasis the chest while hiding the curvier parts of my body.

4. for my height, skirts should hit middle of the knee to right below the knee. too short and it makes you look chunky, too long and you look like a member of the "lollipop guild"....as in it cuts off your legs and you like you can do an awesome rendition of "we like to welcome you to munchkin land"

5. when buying bras the band should lay on your body right between the elbow and shoulder. always make sure it fits on the first hook---because all bras will eventually stretch out. i have yet to gain the courage to get a bra "fitted" in a department store...that's just too awkward.

5 comments:

Kim said...

The only bummer thing about all this is it seems like you have to spend good money to find the good stuff that they do. I guess if you're a really good shopper, you could find it anywhere. But, I'm not! I, too, need to get some new bras. I hate shopping for them because it's so depressing. Maybe next year.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Okay seriously - you guys both need to have a real fitting. It will change your life. And why does the sweater have to be cashmere? I think the 11th thing that Tim misses is "massive pile of old t-shirts that you will never really wear, but can't bear to toss."

::lindsay said...

I got fitted for a bra for the first time last year at Nordstroms. It was well worth it. I FINALLY have bras that fit. They are a little pricey, but as you know I'm not what you would call voluptuous, so it really is a modern day miracle that I can find something that fits.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie, thanks for the shampoo. You rule!

-Aaron

dirty>south said...

He forgot 2 other essentials that I cannot live without: a pair of red hot pants and leather chaps.

Don't know how I'd get through the week without them