Monday, November 12, 2007

O' Canada...my home and native land?

So what do three single girls do on a saturday with no plans?


Head to Canada eh!

Saturday morning, I

headed with my friends
Michelle

and Emily

on a day trip to Canada. We had no agenda just a Canadian musical artist mix on the ipod (nickelback was excluded) and a need for excitement and adventure. Shania Twain, Nelly Furtado, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Barenaked Ladies, and Avril Lavigne entertained us during the bleak drive through northern Washington (I had forgotten that Canada also gave us the hip-hop artist Snow and his one hit "Informer"....dang it). We drove through Osoyoos (Canada's only desert), Oliver (Canada's largest wine country and home to a Mosque....fascinating right?)

(We were going to park the car and take a picture, but got the sudden feeling that we were not welcome... so this picture was taken very quickly by Michelle from the passenger side window, as apparently the muslim men weren't to keen on three white young women hanging around their building....who knew?)

and Penticton (where we had an amazing lunch at Earl's).



We then hit the mall to buy souvenirs and headed home. Getting into Canada was so easy that we expected getting back into our homeland to be even easier...who knew that the homeland security agent would be skeptical that three young girls went up to Canada for a few hours with no good reason?

After answering questions about how I knew my roadtrip mates, how long we had been friends, why we came to Canada (a question he asked multiple times), and where we grew up... he finally decided we were okay to enter.

As we started our drive back to Moses Lake-- Neil Diamond's "America" blared.

"Far, we've been travelin far.
Without a home, but not without a star"


We got home, took a three hour nap, went out dancing, then hung out talking until 3:30 am.

All in a days work for a girl like myself.

7 comments:

Mandi said...

That sounds like so much fun! I miss weekend like that! You look great by the way! I like your hair short!

Kim said...

I love that you guys did that! I'm sure you guys had a great time together...as you always do. I bet your Canada mix was a good one!

melanie said...

I used to love random trips like that. The weather looked awesome, I'm so glad you guys had a good day.

Nothing like a little Neil.

Samantha said...

That sounds so random and adventurous. I love it. I also liked your post because it reminded me of the song "lady with the red dress on" by snow. Ash & I loved that song from the same cd as "informer."

ashleyboice said...

I too was going to comment about snow...man sam and I are such sisters...we always have the same thing to say. I bought the SNOW CD at goodwill and we listened to it for a good year. Every song. I can't really remember if it was that good or I just didn't have any CD's back then.

Brianne said...

What a fun day trip! I miss our day trips of driving all over England. It was all about the scenery. I've noticed we haven't done it here. The scenery is crap here!

Anonymous said...

hey ya jus wanted to say that pic isnt of a mosque its a sikh temple...unlike a mosque any one can enter, an there are actually white sikhs so im sure ud b welcome...those guys proly jus looked creepy lol