Tuesday, November 27, 2007

santa clause is coming to town...

In light of the holiday season which is among us I decided to post a blog I had written a couple years ago on a previous blog site. Many of you never got a chance to read it and since my thoughts (as crazy as they may be) still hold true today, I thought I would share..
so enjoy...


My worst nightmare involves clowns and Santa clause

I love Santa, don't get me wrong, but you couldn't pay me enough money to get on the lap of some stranger in the mall and take a picture, let alone let kids hop up on "potential molester" guy's lap for the season's greetings picture you send to family and friends. I hate Santa Clause's in the mall. I hate them for some of the same reasons I hate clowns. They are these iconic characters that you love without prejudice, when in fact you have no idea who is in the suit or the make-up.

You don't know if jolly old' st. nick is "homeless Henry" or "child molester Charlie" 330 days out of the year who somehow was able to sell enough pop cans to afford a used Santa suit and white beard and get a temp job at the local mall. And yet you freely sit.. or even worse...put your innocent children on his "welcoming" lap, and let him rub your backs as he asks with his alcohol laden breath, "now what do you want for Christmas?" I’ll tell you what I want...I want a car, a TV, and my innocence back you perv, now stop touching me!


You have no idea if minks the clown whose parading around the local fair is really "Merv the Perv" who freaked you out the day before as he smoked, stared creepily, and somehow managed (with his high school dropout IQ) to work the carousel, and now it's his turn to wear the red nose, over-sized shoes, and creepy perma-grin. You don't know...and yet you smile, laugh, give hugs, and let him tickle or poke you, and you think it's fun and cute. Why?


Perhaps I am just cynical? Perhaps I need to see the beauty that.... Nope. They are creepy!

7 comments:

Nina said...

Maybe this is why my daughter refuses to sit on Santas lap...maybe she is a good read of people already. :O)

Kim said...

Did you see that story on the news of the "Santa" that was scaling a wall and his beard got caught in the rope? He ended up taking off his wig and beard and asking for a knife. I freaked all the kids out! It made me laugh.

Kacey Nielsen said...

I will never look at a Mall Santa the same way again. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to worry about creepy people and every mall santa was just someones wonderful grandfather who just wants to spread a little holiday cheer? Stupid unperfect world...

Krystin said...

I totally remember reading this post.

Colleen said...

Exactly why we don't do Santa pictures, for real. You pay a gazillion dollars to get one picture of your kids on the germ-encrusted lap of either a nasty perv or a really tired old man who never seems all that happy to have kids sitting on his lap. I also do not like clowns, I think they are creepy to the max!

dirty>south said...

thanks. guess I'll have to find a different part time job this Christmas. yeah...thanks.

mumovearls said...

I knew it Jared was that Santa... Just jokes! I always hire a nice Santa to come visit my kids we don't take a chance with the ones at the mall!-Nena