Tuesday, August 7, 2007

it's gettin hot in herre....

TOP 5 THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY COOKING SHOWS:

1. risotto must be the hardest thing to make. it seems like a basic dish that no matter how many times they have to make it, they always mess up. how is that possible? is it that hard? (see hell's kitchen)

2. when in doubt use saffron. it seems like the chefs can make any dish sound exotic or make any dish a success when they add saffron to the ingredients. but what the heck is saffron? (see top chef or hell's kitchen)

3. even experts overcook/under cook pasta. seriously. (see top chef or hell's kitchen)

4. chef's are sexy. Tom on top chef....sexy. Gordon on hell's kitchen....sexy. don't know what it is. but they make me tune in every week.


5. culinary students, sous chef's, etc. have the thickest skin. how does that yelling, constant critiques, and failure not affect them more? i am so jealous. if gordon ramsey ever called me a donkey or told me to "f off" i might cry. (see top chef and hell's kitchen)

6 comments:

Krystin said...

i am sad that i have to wait another week to see Rock win.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Hey Angie - I found your blog from Kim's - I LOVE it! Your observations are witty, hilarious, and downright awesome. All I have to say is that I think the chefs use saffron because it costs about a zillion dollars, and they probably can't afford it at home. =)

::lindsay said...

I don't really watch culinary shows, but now you've made me curious. Once in awhile Jared and I will watch Top Chef. With Mitch as a chef I feel a little embarrassed like I should know more about this stuff. :)

Kim said...

I'm feeling the same as Linds. I have seen clips on "The Soup." That one guys seems pretty nasty!

Jill said...

Hey Angie! Your blog is so great! I miss all the fun times we had back in the day. Okay, I watch Hell's Kitchen every once in a while, and I think it is the pressure that makes them mess up the most. I think saffron is a yellowy powdery stuff from India-I could be completly wrong about this. And I don't know what the deal is with risotto, it is hard to make and I am not sure why. I have only attempted a few times and I think my attention span just doesn't allow for it.

Samantha said...

this is hilarious angie. kyle and i always talk about how we want to order risotto at a fancy restaurant and see what the big deal is about, and we also always quote ramsey and the way he says "donkey."